Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is one of the most common endocrine disorders, which is affecting a reported 10 percent of the women’s globally. There are various symptoms of PCOS may be gynecological such as irregular periods, infertility and recurrent pregnancy loss or cosmetic such as acne, facial hair, and pigmentation. PCOS is not a disease but a symptom of multiple symptoms and signs which each woman with PCOS have to face and also might have a combination of the symptoms. These symptoms can be cured naturally with exercise, home remedies such as fenugreek for PCOS, etc.
These symptoms usually become apparent in late teens or early twenties and each symptom can vary from mild to severe. In many women’s only symptoms are menstrual problems or a failure to conceive.
However many other common symptoms include:
- Irregular periods or a complete lack of periods (amenorrhea)
- Difficulty getting pregnant (because of irregular ovulation or failure to ovulate)
- Recurrent miscarriage
- Excessive hair growth (hirsutism)—usually on the face, chest, back or buttocks
- Weight problems—being overweight, rapid weight gain, difficulty losing weight
- Thinning hair and hair loss from the head
- Oily skin or acne
- Depression and mood changes
- Multiple, small cysts on the ovaries
Many women with PCOS grow many small cysts on their ovaries hence its polycystic ovary syndrome. These cysts are not harmful but they cause hormonal imbalance which in turn causes the symptoms listed above.
There are is no such treatment for the management of PCOS which is incurable. Doctors generally prescribe birth control pills to settle these hormones and offer advice on healthy lifestyle changes and diet plans considering diabetes medications and as a last resort, perform surgery to remove the cyst.
Interestingly fenugreek seed extract has been shown to cause significant reduction in ovary volume with the following supplementation with Fenugreek for PCOS as fenugreek seed extract helps to treat ovarian cyst and also symptoms of PCOS. These supplements of Fenugreek for PCOS results in a reduction in cyst size while in some it shown the complete dissolution of the cysts.
Fenugreek and fertility:
In a study, it concluded that 46% of the women had a reduction in ovarian cyst while 36% of then had the total dissolution of the cyst. And almost 71% of the women’s had a regular menstrual cycle and 12% of them have conceived during the treatment. This proves that the extract of fenugreek seeds for PCOS plays a great impact on PCOS as it helps in ease woman chances of fertility. Regular consumption of fenugreek seeds ease the symptoms of PCOS
Fenugreek and insulin resistance:
PCOS is also associated with insulin resistance and disorders of lipid metabolism. Fenugreek capsules are prescribed to women suffering from PCOS along with Metformin and ultrasounds were taken after four weeks it showed the significant changes in polycystic appearing ovaries. While there wasn’t much change in insulin resistance but menstrual irregularities were connected and ovaries looked healthy on the scans. Remember with PCOS the ovaries seems to look inflated and have cysts on them.
Fenugreek for PCOS: is it effective?
It’s a blood sugar lowering mechanism that makes fenugreek seeds a natural treatment for controlling type-2 Diabetes and also works as an effective therapy for PCOS too. Since the insulin resistance lies at the heart of PCOS, stabilizing blood sugar levels and also improves glucose tolerance which makes Fenugreek an effective remedy for PCOS.
How to use Fenugreek for PCOS?
- If you believe in natural remedies then it’s better to talk to your doctor and get the doses prescribed in the capsule format.
- You can reap the benefits of fenugreek by soaking a few seeds in water overnight, straining it in the morning and drinking it.
- You can also include it in seasoning your food and sprinkle soaked fenugreek seeds in salads and curries.
- Dry roast fenugreek seeds for a minute, then crush into a powder. This is an excellent way to incorporate the mild nutty flavor of fenugreek seeds for tempering, seasoning or in pickles as well as homemade sauerkraut.
- Fenugreek seeds can be ground into a powder mixture and stored in an airtight container. You only need Stir in a teaspoon into curries, dry vegetables, and meat dishes. Or you can add a teaspoon into plain yogurt for a quick power-snack between meals.
Furocyst is a health supplement containing fenugreek seed extract and it also has shown to help increase insulin-sensitizing activity and peripheral utilization of insulin correcting the increased androgen hormones and it also helps in reducing hypercholesterolemia.